Neighborhood News 121 results

NO DUES…. No Lights, No Grounds Maintenance, No Safety Improvements, No Events, No Operations

As we head into mid-year, KNU dues collections stand at 22% resident participation. It’s not equitable for these dues-paying neighbors to carry the other 78% of non-participating residents. WE NEED ALL RESIDENTS to take an ACTIVE ROLE by investing a modest $50 a year in YOUR community. Your support helps fund KNU’s yearly operationally budget, which translates to keeping the lights on (literally). More...

Spring Beautification Day Dosed with Scouts Honor

Neighbors and volunteers did a number at the Spring Beautification Day! In fact, 10 of the 20 city green spaces that dot our neighborhood and are maintained by KNU got a makeover. Boy Scout Troop 5 joined our ranks for the clean-up and contributed amazing spirit and effort. Volunteers included 8 members of Boy Scout Troop 5, Lila Belitz, Chuck Daniel and Robb Puckett, Greg Evans and Steve Roe, Linda Franklin, Amy Freund and Charles Hatfield More...

Care to take a Seat as KNU’s Treasurer or Store Committee Chair? Please apply!

We are looking for a neighborhood devotee to fill the role of KNU treasurer. Accounting experience or mathematical genius is not required! Our contracted bookkeeper crunches the numbers monthly. You simply must be willing and able to attend monthly meetings, coordinate with the pros and bring the eagerness! More...

Paternal Origins

Scholars believe that the origin of Father's Day is not a mere century-old phenomenon. They claim that the tradition of Father's Day can be traced in the ruins of Babylon. As recorded, a young boy called Elmesu carved a Father's Day message on a card made from clay nearly 4,000 years ago, bearing a wish for good health and long life. The modern version of Father's Day originated in United States. More...

Don your Sombrero for Cinco de Mayo Celebracion in the Cliff on May 5th

Join NBC 5 and the Oak Cliff Coalition for the Arts at the 2018 Dallas Cinco de Mayo on Saturday, May 5, from 10am-4pm on historic Jefferson Blvd. in Oak Cliff. The Big Parade is from 10am-Noon with festive floats, marching bands, tailgating & awards. The fiesta on Jefferson Blvd. gets the party going from 10am-4pm with a Cultural Expressions Showcase... More...

RSVP for Annual KNU Picnic Sunday May 6th: DJ, Bounce House, Games, Good Grub & YOU

We need a head count for our annual picnic, so take a moment and RSVP for you and your guests. Festivities kick off at 4pm at Robert’s Forest on the grounds of KPUMC with DJ Mark Ridlen, entrees from Norma’s, a piñata and bounce house for the kids and games for adults. More...

Lady with the Lamp: Nightingale Lights the Way for Modern Nursing

In observance of National Nurses Day on May 6, 2018, it is only fitting to acknowledge history’s nursing icon with lantern in hand. Florence Nightingale was born in Florence, Italy on May 12, 1820. During the Crimean War, she and a team of nurses improved the unsanitary conditions at a British base hospital, reducing the death count by two-thirds. More...

Show Active Duty Military Your Support on May 19th

"Today let us, as Americans, honor the American fighting man. For it is he - the soldier, the sailor, the Airman, the Marine - who has fought to preserve freedom. It is his valor that has given renewed hope to the free world that by working together in discipline and faith our ideals of freedom will always prevail." (Admiral Forrest P. Sherman) On August 31, 1949, Secretary of Defense Louis Johnson announced the creation of an Armed Forces Day. More...

Oak Cliff Earth Day to Celebrate with Green Fun & Run on April 15th

2018 Earth Day Oak Cliff is being organized by Green Source DFW and its parent nonprofit, The Memnosyne Institute on Sunday, April 15th from 11am to 6pm at Lake Cliff Park, 300 E. Colorado Blvd. The grassroots eco-friendly celebration will kick off with a timed 5K run and 1-mile walk, followed by opening ceremonies at 11am. More...

KNU’s Annual Picnic is Set for Good Eats, Friends and You

Please RSVP for our annual KNU Picnic outing set for Sunday, May 6th, 5-7pm at Robert’s Forest on the grounds of KPUMC. Set-up starts at 4pm and we need a few helpers. Contact Lila Belitz at lbelitz@gmail.com to lend a hand. Mild temperatures and a sunny spring day will make for an enjoyable and lazy afternoon with family and friends. We will provide the main course, and residents are encouraged to bring a dish. More...
X